If you approach your holiday meals as an exercise in making smart choices and enjoying your food, chances are you will avoid weight gain. Try these healthy eating tips this holiday season.
1. Choose fiber-rich fruits and vegetables for appetizers, eat high-calorie foods sparingly, and avoid dishes high in sugar and sodium.
2. Don’t starve yourself all day to justify eating more at dinner. Eating a satisfying breakfast can ward off the temptation to overindulge later in the day.
3. Concentrate on portion control and planning. Choose foods that you really love to eat, chew each bite slowly, and savor all the flavors and smells. Eating slowly not only allows you to enjoy and be thankful for your food, but helps prevent overeating: it takes 20 minutes for the stomach to signal the brain that you’re full.
4. Get up from the table when you’re done, in order to avoid nibbling.
5. Once your meal is over, take a walk to help digest your food and think about what a wonderful experience you just had – and the company and conversations that contributed to making it memorable and enjoyable.