Massage: Get in touch with its many benefits
Massage can be a powerful tool to help you take charge of your health and well-being. See if it’s right for you.
Massage used to be available only through luxury spas and upscale health clubs. Today, massage therapy is offered in businesses, clinics, hospitals and even airports. If you’ve never tried massage, learn about its possible health benefits and what to expect during a massage therapy session.
What is massage?
Massage is a general term for pressing, rubbing, and manipulating your skin, muscles, tendons and ligaments. Massage may range from light stroking to deep pressure. There are many different types of massage, including these common types:
- Swedish massage.This is a gentle form of massage that uses long strokes, kneading, deep circular movements, vibration and tapping. It helps you feel relaxed and energized.
- Deep massage.This massage technique uses slower, more-forceful strokes to target the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue. It’s commonly used to help with muscle damage from injuries.
- Sports massage.This is similar to Swedish massage, but it’s geared toward people involved in sport activities to help prevent or treat injuries.
- Trigger point massage.This massage focuses on areas of tight muscle fibers that can form in your muscles after injuries or overuse.
Benefits of massage
Massage is generally considered part of integrative medicine. It’s increasingly being offered along with standard treatment for a wide range of medical conditions and situations.
Massage benefits can include:
- Reducing stress and increasing relaxation
- Reducing pain and muscle soreness and tension
- Improving circulation, energy and alertness
- Lowering heart rate and blood pressure
- Improving immune function
While more research is needed to confirm the benefits of massage, some studies have found massage may also be helpful for:
- Digestive disorders
- Insomnia related to stress
- Low back pain
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Nerve pain
- Soft tissue strains or injuries
- Sports injuries
- Temporomandibular joint pain
- Upper back and neck pain
Beyond the benefits for specific conditions or diseases, some people enjoy massage because it often produces feelings of caring, comfort and connection.
Despite its benefits, massage isn’t meant as a replacement for regular medical care. Let your doctor know you’re trying massage and be sure to follow any standard treatment plans you have…
Why is good skin care important?
Good skin care is important for the following reasons:
- It helps your skin stay in good condition: You’re shedding skin cells throughout the day, so it’s important to keep your skin glowing and in good condition. An effective routine can help prevent acne, treat wrinkles, and help keep your skin looking its best.
- Your skin will look more youthful: As you age, your skin’s cells turn over more slowly, make it look duller and less radiant. Using a quality skin care line can help remove dead skin cells so your body will replace them with newer, more youthful cells.
- Prevention is easier than correction: Preventing skin problems is easier -– and less costly – than trying to fix them in the future.
- Your self-confidence will get a boost: When your skin looks better, you’ll feel better about yourself and have more self-confidence.
What are some good skin care methods?
The following components can create a good, effective skin care routine:
- Cleanser: Wash your face gently with a product designed for your face. If you have dry skin, you’ll want to choose a cleanser that doesn’t have alcohol, and if you have oily skin, look for an oil-free cleanser. Afterward, rinse with warm water.
- Toner: Toner is used after washing your face, and it helps smooth and calm skin while restoring nutrients.
- Moisturizer: Moisturizers should be used every time you wash your face, even if you have oily skin. If you have this type of skin, choose an oil-free or gel product.
- Sunscreen: Even if your moisturizer has a sunscreen, it can still help to use a separate sunscreen every day, even if it’s cloudy. Choose one that provides broad-spectrum protection and has an SPF of at least 30.
- Exfoliator: Exfoliators are optional and can be used after a cleanser but before a moisturizer. They should only be used a maximum of once or twice a week.
- Serum: A serum can help address specific issues, such as redness.
What benefits do quality skin care products provide?
The following are some of the benefits of quality skin care products:
- Quality ingredients: Similar to the benefits that healthy food provides for your body, quality skin-care ingredients can improve your skin.
- Protection from environmental damage: such as pollution
- Help fighting the effects of aging: such as wrinkles and sunspots
- Results for the money: Even if quality products cost more in some cases, they’re worth the money. If you use ineffective products, you’re wasting money.
- Exceeding standards: Quality skin care products are more refined, with fewer bacteria and impurities.